The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars

‘The Fault in Our Stars’ has to be one of the most hyped (if not the most hyped) book that hit the shelves in recent years. Truth be told John Green is my favourite writer of all time and I will try to make this review as unbiased as possible.

To begin with, ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ is beyond dispute my favourite book ever. It is a Young Adult fiction book which was published in January of 2012. John Green decided to sign every pre-ordered copy of TfiOS (total of 150,000 books). He is previously known to the literary world as the author of Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (co-written with David Levithan) as well as the vlogger on the vlogbrothers’ channel he started with his brother Hank (even before he became such an acknowledged author, I believe).

I’d better get down to writing this review before this turns into a John Green’s biography.

The plot centres on Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters, both cancer victims who meet at a Support Group.  The storyline follows their falling in love and trying to live their lives to the fullest. You would certainly  not want me to outline the whole plot since this book is a whole rollercoaster ride of emotions and you’d better go through it all on your own.

The problems this books tackles will leave you contemplating life, its purpose and most importanly the human fear of oblivion. I am quite positive that every one of us asked ourselves once in our lifetime what would happen if we died. How would things look after we are gone and most importantly what would people remember about us after we are gone.

This novel explains the importance or rather the need of having that one book we can always refer to, come back to it and re-read it hundreds of times, and experiencing it differently each time. I believe this quote infallibly highlights the idea:

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

Even though the whole concept reminds you of a typical romance/ YA novel, I promise you that this book goes agains convention.

It has been announced recently that the TfiOS will be turned into a movie. I am really not a big fan of movie adaptations but I am pretty sure that John Green has got it all covered.  Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the movie and plunging into this amazing adventure once again.

M.K.